Night or day: pick none...

This is probably the most backwards logic I've run into so far and fits quite appropriately for Colombia:
While in Medellin, Colombia recently I was staying with my mom who was part of a big poetry festival there. Well, we were staying at a nice hotel in the center and I was trying to find out things to do and see in the city. I asked the front desk and they told me a ton of things to see, one of which was the beautiful and stunning 'Parque de Luces' (Park of Lights). They told me it was amazing, but since it's day I should wait until night to see it, otherwise it's not worth seeing. Ok, I thanked them, we did some touristy thing during the day (Botanical Garden I believe) and then relaxed until night. 8:00 at night rolls in, we get ready, and head down to talk to the front desk about good places to eat by the Parque de Luces and how to get there.
They tell me since it's Sunday, everything's probably closed that they know of (a fact I already know isn't true) and it isn't safe to go around at night (also untrue) and that we should just eat in the hotel (which we were sick of after 3 days).
I ignore this and ask him about the park and he tells me it's unsafe at night and not to go. I pause, take a deep breath, and although I know better than to deal with South American logic, I press the matter further.
I ask, in Spanish, "so then when is a 'safe' time to go to the park?"
The answer was, of course, "during the day."
Deep breath.
My response, "wait. So earlier I was told the park is only worth seeing at night, right?"
"Right."
"And yet, now, you're telling me it's too dangerous to go at night?"
"Right."
Breath Andreas, breath.
"So then when can I go to the park to see it???"
"You should just eat at the restaurant here."
I should've just slapped him right there.
Turns out one of our friends had a flight in a few hours and we didn't have time to deal with nonsense. So we ended up not going and I never saw the damn park.
1 Response
  1. Liz Says:

    I just read it to my mom and her response was, "ohhh"... she feels bad you neveer saw the damn park after all the drama.


Post a Comment