¡Para alla!

The two famous words that come from Latin America - some already know - that sum up this culture´s perspective when it comes to directions: "para alla" (pronouced 'para aya' - which roughly translates to 'over there'). If you have ever been in a Latin American country than you probably already know where I'm going with this. Whenever you get directions here, you're most likely in for a treat. For some reason the concept of details and priciseness is thrown out the window when it comes to time or distance here. When getting directions I've often found that a "few," "couple," or even an exact number like "3" blocks "para alla" can easily turn into at least 10-15 blocks in that general direction, and usually consist of a complex series of turns on various streets. The best part is if you ask someone a few blocks later, they'll give you a whole different direction for "para alla" and lead you in a set of infruriating circles. Two words that indeed make me cringe upon utterance: para alla.
4 Responses
  1. Liz Says:

    I suppose it's even more infuritating when what you are trying to find, is a bar.


  2. dodson86 Says:

    I can report a similar circumstance in Paris, France. I assumed it was just beacuse all Frogs were assholes, but it sounds as if this issue has crossed the Atlantic and entered into S.A.


  3. Absolutely. I fall for it majority of the time. I'm still searching for this gym "a few blocks north" of my apartment.


  4. True that Liz. Although, they usually manage to be spot on for the most part on where the bars and clubs are. Go figure.


Post a Comment